About the program
Avant is launching a new placement program providing a new plastic surgery fellow the opportunity to accompany an Interplast volunteer medical team on an upcoming medical trip to a country in the Asia Pacific region.
Interplast and Avant are partnering on this opportunity, by introducing a new fellow to Interplast’s work in facilitating quality patient care for complex cases seen in the Asia Pacific region. Importantly, the Fellow would be able to experience first-hand the benefits of participating in a surgical program within a developing community and further develop their clinical skills in a challenging environment, supported by highly experienced colleagues with previous Interplast experience.
The program includes a return economy class airfare from the recipients nearest capital city in Australia, up to four (4) nights’ accommodation (depending on duration of medical program), all meals during the medical program, ground transfers, travel insurance and any other essential requirements required by Interplast during the program.
The Program is available to those that hold a FRACS in plastic surgery and are in their first 5 years post completing training.
To apply for and be awarded the placement you must:
- be an Australian citizen, New Zealand citizen or permanent resident of Australia
- be a medical practitioner registered with the Medical Board of Australia
- hold a FRACS in Plastic Surgery and be within the first 5 years post completing your training
- hold an Avant professional indemnity insurance policy
- Agree to all of Interplast’s volunteer registration requirements, including providing two referees for Interplast to contact and undertake a Criminal History Check
- Provide a medical certificate stating fitness to travel to a developing country (if required)
- Provide all information as required by Interplast and Avant Mutual to effectively and appropriately organise their participation in the Program activity.
Applications open at 9.00am AEDT on 25 March 2019 and close at 5.00pm AEST on 26 April 2019. Applications received after the close of the application period will not be considered.
How to apply
To apply for the placement you must complete the application form and provide two professional references indicating your suitability for the placement during the application period via the online application accessible at: avantdifference.org.au/interplast-new-fellow.
Avant will not include incomplete applications in the review process.
Assessment of applications
The applications will be assessed in early May 2019 by a panel comprised of representatives from Avant Mutual and Interplast. The recipient will be chosen based on the information in the application form. If further clarification is required it will be requested. Avant reserves the right to request verification of information provided by the applicant.
The single best application as judged by the panel will be awarded the placement opportunity, and this decision will be final.
Interplast and Avant reserve the right to withdraw an offer if:
- The applicant has provided incorrect information or withheld relevant information;
- Any part of the application was found to have been made fraudulently; or
- The applicant ceases to be an Avant member or does not comply with these terms.
- Found guilty of professional misconduct by the Medical Board of Australia
Notification to recipient
The recipient will be formally notified by telephone and email by mid-May 2019, and will be published on the Avant website at www.avantdifference.org.au. The recipient will also be formally presented with a certificate at the ASPS Annual Scientific Meeting (ASPS PSC), if they are able to attend.
Unsuccessful applicants will be notified by email in late May 2019. Unfortunately, beyond notification of outcome, we cannot provide feedback on individual applications.
Promotion and media
By accepting the placement opportunity, the recipient agrees to provide a post trip communication piece, and partake in video, photographs and/or presentations to Avant and Interplast for use in marketing material. The recipient further agrees to work with Avant’s editorial team to enable Avant to publish information in relation to the placement in journals, magazines or media in Australia.
All entries and any material produced in relation to the placement (including post trip communication pieces and presentations) remain the property of Avant and may be used by Avant in promotional and educational material. Avant may publish these on the Avant website and in other media.
Applications remain the property of Avant. Details from applications may be collected and used for the purposes of conducting the New Fellow Placement (which may include disclosure to third parties for assessment and verification purposes) and, in the case of the recipient, for the purposes of promotion of the New Fellow Placement and similar Avant programs in subsequent years.
Other conditions for successful recipients
- Itinerary to be determined by Avant and Interplast at their absolute discretion.
- The placement is subject to flight availability, season and travel dates and is subject to change by Interplast if required
- If the recipient is unable to confirm their participation on the placement program, and an alternate solution cannot be reached, then Avant may award the opportunity to another applicant or has the right to withdraw the placement program.
- If for any reason any confirmed placement (or part of any placement) becomes unavailable, it will be substituted with an opportunity of equal value.
- Spending money, additional taxes, insurance, passports, visas and vaccinations, transport to and from departure / return point, additional meals, additional transfers, beverages, items of a personal nature, in-room charges and all other ancillary costs (unless specified) are the responsibility of the successful applicant.
- The recipient must depart from and return to the same departure point.
- The recipient is responsible for any amendment fees issued by airlines or suppliers once the booking is confirmed.
- The recipient must be in possession of a valid passport with a minimum of six months validity on it prior to departure.
- The recipient may be required to present a credit card at the time of accommodation check in.
- The recipient may be required to sign an agreement to release and indemnify Avant and/or Interplast from any liability arising from participation in the program.
- Neither Avant nor Interplast shall be liable for any loss, damage or injury suffered (even if caused by negligence) as a result of the program, except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law.
Supporting you in making a difference
Applications close 5pm (AEDT) 26 April 2019