Interplast sends teams of plastic and reconstructive surgeons, anaesthetists, nurses and allied health professionals to provide free reconstructive surgery and medical training to communities in need in the Asia-Pacific.
Launched in 2013, the Avant and Interplast Student Placement Program has been supported by Avant with funding over five years. This inspiring opportunity is awarded to one medical student member each year.
You’ll have the chance to travel with an Interplast team and observe their essential work, immerse yourself in a different culture and see what’s possible in healthcare. One prize to be awarded for a trip to an Asia-Pacific destination (as confirmed by Interplast). Flights, accommodation, meals and insurance are provided by Avant*.
Entries for the 2017 Avant and Interplast Student Placement Program are now closed.
Congratulations to Julie Graham from James Cook University who has been selected as the winner of the 2017 program.
To be eligible to apply for this student placement, you must be:
- A current member of Avant over 18 years of age, with a current Avant Student Indemnity Insurance policy at the time of the prize draw; and
- An Australian and New Zealand citizen or permanent resident of Australia who is based in Australia.
- Student Placement Program Applications open: August 2018
- Student Placement Program Applications close October 2018
- Winners announced: November 2018
- The competition is free to enter.
- Complete and submit the entry form available online at avant.org.au/interplast or a hardcopy form via the brochure.
- Each entrant has their name entered into the draw. Late entries will not be considered.
- Only one entry is permitted per Avant member.
- Incomplete or illegible entries will be deemed invalid.
Avant and Interplast – helping rebuild lives
Interplast is a not-for-profit organisation working to improve the quality of life for people with a disability resulting from congenital or acquired medical conditions such as cleft lip and palate or burn scar contractures. Their focus is on providing free surgical treatment for patients who would otherwise not be able to afford these services.
Through the Avant and Interplast Student Placement Program, Avant recognises the critical work of Interplast in changing not only the lives of their patients, but the medical students who take part in the program.
Learn more about Interplast.
Morgan Haines | 2015 recipient
Medical student, Morgan Haines, won our 2015 Avant and Interplast Student Placement Program. She travelled to Labasa Hospital in Fiji, where she worked with an Interplast team of two plastic surgeons, two anaesthetists and two nurses.
On day one, the team got straight to work. After meeting local medical staff and Ministry of Health representatives, Morgan and the team set up theatres. The immersive experience included ward rounds, observing the many patients requiring plastic and reconstructive surgery. They also conducted a pre-op clinic for around 60 outpatients that otherwise could not be seen by Fiji’s sole plastic surgeon.
Morgan witnessed the vast difference in conditions between Australian and Fijian hospitals – along with the incredible work of the Interplast team:
- Pathology results that in Australia would be reported in a matter of hours, take six weeks in Fiji.
- The Interplast team performed 34 surgeries in one day!
- No air-conditioning in the wards and only partitions dividing beds made infection control a challenge in the tropical heat.
Morgan’s experience had a profound effect on her, as she says:
“I’ll never forget the awe and excitement I feel when the Fijian baby’s lip comes together so neatly in the first cleft lip repair I have witnessed. I’m amazed that the trajectory of this child’s life has changed so dramatically – problems eating, speaking and socialising have been virtually eliminated in a two-hour procedure. And almost as heartwarming is watching the parents meet their child post-operation… it’s so special.”
Morgan has since gone on to pursue plastic surgery at Royal Melbourne Hospital.
*Location may change at Interplast’s discretion. Exact dates to be confirmed and may be subject to change. Applicants must be a current member of Avant who is over 18 and have a current Avant Student Indemnity Policy at the time of the prize draw. The promoter of the competition is Avant Mutual Group Limited (Avant) (ABN 58 123 154 898) of Level 6, Tower 3 Darling Park, 201 Sussex Street, Sydney NSW 2000. Interplast is Interplast Australia and New Zealand (ACN 006 155 193).