Avant Doctor in Training Research Scholarship Program
Up to $450,000 total | Open February to May 2018
Supports Australia's promising young doctors to advance their careers by developing life-changing research that promotes better patient outcomes.
Who can apply
Avant members in one of three categories: Intern, RMO, Doctor in Training, who are:
- An Australian or New Zealand citizen or permanent resident of Australia; and
- Registered with the Medical Board of Australia; and
- Enrolled in a recognised research program.
- DiT Research Scholarship Program applications open: February 2018
- DiT Research Scholarship Program applications close: May 2018
- Review of applications: June to August 2018
- Scholarship recipients notified: September 2018
The Avant Doctor in Training Research Scholarship Program has eight points of selection criteria, including:
- Your quality improvement and leadership experience
- Research topic area
- Project status (new, continuing), rationale and objectives
- Sustainability of project outcomes and ongoing impact
- How important funding is to the project
Avant Foundation Grants
Expressions of interest (now open)
The Avant Foundation provides funding to support research, education and leadership programs designed to make a real difference to quality, safety and professionalism in practice.
The Avant Foundation uses an expression of interest process in order to determine the extent to which applications are aligned with the mission of the Foundation. After assessment, we will invite selected applicants to submit a more detailed application. These will then be reviewed before funded projects are announced in June.
Who can apply
The Foundation may provide funding to:
- Entities who
- are in the healthcare industry and
- have Deductible Gift Recipient status (but not another ancillary fund) listed with the Australian Taxation Office under Item 1 of the Table in Section 30.15 of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997; or
- do not hold DGR status.
- Medical practices that hold (at the time of application and throughout the project period) a Practice Medical Indemnity Policy with Avant Insurance Limited;
- Medical practitioners
- who hold (at the time of application and throughout the project period) a Professional Indemnity Insurance Policy with Avant Insurance Limited in a practitioner Category of Practice, that is, not Intern/RMO or a Doctor in Training;
- who are an Australian citizen, New Zealand citizen or permanent resident of Australia and based in Australia;
- who are a practising medical practitioner registered with the Medical Board of Australia.
including but not limited to:
Medical Research Institutes
Medical Colleges and Societies
Hospitals or Hospital Group (public or private)
Local Hospital Networks or Local Health Districts
Primary Health Networks
- Expressions of interest: Close on 31 January 2019
- Detailed applications: February to March 2019
- Review of applications: April to May 2019
- Funded projects announced: June 2019
The following are selection criteria for the Avant Foundation Grants EOI:
- Relevance of the project to the Foundation’s objectives
- The project type
- The project topic area
- The leadership experience of the project team
- Whether it is a new or continuing project
- The design of the project
- How important funding from the Avant Foundation is to the delivery of the project
- Project rationale and relevance
- Project scalability and sustainability
- Project timeframes
- Project budget
To find out more download our information pack.
Avant / AAPM Scholarship Program
Up to $4,000 per recipient, total of $20,000 | Open July to August 2018
Partnering with the Australian Association of Practice Management scholarships (AAPM), Avant promotes professional development for practice managers, for better-managed practices and improved patient care.
Who can apply
Practice managers can apply directly. Doctors can nominate their practice manager to apply for a scholarship. In 2018, we’re offering five scholarships to study practice management at UNE Partnerships.
- Avant / AAPM Scholarship applications open: 9 July 2018
- Avant / AAPM Scholarship applications close: 17 August 2018
- Review of applications: early September 2018
- Scholarship recipients notified: late September 2018
To be considered for a scholarship, you must meet the following minimum criteria:
- Be a full member of AAPM. Non-members can apply for membership prior to applying for the scholarship.
- Currently employed in a medical practice in a Practice Manager (or similar) role
- Completed a minimum of Year 12 education level or have a minimum of 3 years’ experience in Practice Management
- Meet any other entry criteria for the Advanced Diploma/Diploma/Certificate required by UNE Partnerships for admission into the relevant courses.
Avant and Interplast Student Placement Program
Open August to October 2018
Gives a medical student the chance to travel with an Interplast team as they provide free reconstructive surgery for communities in need in the Asia-Pacific.
Who can apply
To be eligible to apply for this student placement, you must be:
- A current member of Avant over 18 years of age, with a current Avant Student Indemnity Insurance policy at the time of the prize draw; and
- An Australian and New Zealand citizen or permanent resident of Australia who is based in Australia.
- Applications open: August 2018
- Applications close: October 2018
- Winner announced: November 2018
- The competition is free to enter.
- To enter you must, during the competition period, complete and submit the 2018 competition entry form available online.
View the full terms and conditions
Applying for a grant or scholarship
To apply for an Avant grant or scholarship, complete the appropriate application form and submit it (during the application period), and any additional information requested by Avant. Applications should be made via the online application portal. Avant will not include incomplete applications in the review process.
If you would like to find out more about any of Avant's Grants or Scholarships, fill out and submit this form. We will respond to your enquiry as soon as possible.