Established in 2017, the Foundation’s vision is to provide strong leadership within the medical profession, focused on continuous improvement in safety and reducing risk for both doctors and patients.
The Avant Foundation Grants 2020 program provides funding to support research, education and leadership programs designed to make a real difference to how medicine is practised – in particular, the systems and processes. We believe this is key to creating sustainable change, enhancing patient care and reducing clinical and medico-legal risks. In this way, Avant and its members can have a meaningful impact on the future of medical practice.
Focus areas for 2020
- Sustainable improvements in quality, safety and professionalism for the benefit of patients and the community
- Support programs that partner with other healthcare organisations and foster a culture of quality, safety and professionalism
- Support safety focused programs that reduce adverse incidents and therefore medico-legal complaints and claims
- Align with Avant's Research agenda and provide opportunities to leverage knowledge from our existing data
The Foundation may provide funding to:
- Entities in healthcare such as research institutes, hospitals, LHDs and colleges
- Medical practices that hold an Avant Practice Medical Indemnity Policy
- Medical practitioners who hold an indemnity policy with Avant
For complete details, download the full terms and conditions
- Expressions of interest: October 2019 - January 2020
- Detailed applications: February - March 2020
- Review of applications: April - May 2020
- Funded projects announced: June 2020
Stage 1 criteria include:
- Relevance of the project to the Foundation’s objectives
- The project type (e.g. research, education)
- The project topic area (e.g. domains of quality improvement, professionalism)
- The leadership experience of the project team
- Whether it is a new or continuing project
- The design of the project
- How important funding from the Avant Foundation is to the delivery of the project
Avant Foundation Grants 2019 recipients:
- Flinders Adelaide Indigenous Medical Mentoring and Australian Indigenous Doctors Association – Dr Helen Sage
- Murray City Country Coast GP Training – Dr Gerard Ingham
- University of Adelaide - Professor Guy Maddern
- Brain and Mind Centre, University of Sydney – Associate Professor Louise Nash
- Associate Professor Rhea Liang
Read more about the 2019 grant recipients.
The Avant Foundation (ABN 27 179 743 817) is administered by its trustee, Avant Foundation Limited (ACN 618 393 847). The Avant Foundation is a Public Ancillary Fund, endorsed by the Australian Taxation Office as a Deductible Gift Recipient.